Sunday, December 11, 2011

Rotel "cheese" dip - way overdue update just in time for bowl season!


Okay, so I was out drinking last night with friends, and got scolded by The Little Vegan that Could for never updating this thing. She's right -- I'm just fucking lazy. Every time I make a new post I resolve to "do better." And I never do. Meh. Whatever. Maybe I will start to post more. We'll see.

So yeah, I've been meaning to share this dip that I whipped up a few weeks ago when I was craving cheese dip. As someone that LOVES college football, I'm glad I managed to get this post down before college bowl season, as this is a vegan take on a tailgating classic.

Aside about college football: It's been a great year to be an LSU fan. Not only are we* in the national championship game, but have the chance to become one of the best college football teams of all time. An LSU player -- a DEFENSIVE player no less! -- got invited to the Heisman Trophy presentation. This was a great year for us, and it will be even better after we kick Bama's ass again in Nawlins. Geaux Tigers!

*Yes, I use the inclusive plural pronoun -- roll your eyes all you want, I really don't give a shit. Plus I actually went to LSU, so I'm not a sidewalk alumnus.

Okay, this is a food blog, so back to food stuff. Here's how to do it:

Ingredients:
  • A can of Rotel (whatever kind you like -- I like the hot kind)
  • A can of coconut milk
  • 4 tablespoons of garlic powder
  • 5 tablespoon of nutritional yeast flakes
  • Arrowroot slurry (3 tablespoons of arrowroot powder mixed with a cup of water)
  • Salt to taste
This is super easy to make. Simple heat up the Rotel and c milk in a pot and add the dry ingredients when it start to simmer. Then all the slurry a bit at a time and stir it in. It should start to thicken pretty nicely. Add as much as you want to get your desired thickness.

This is great to dip chips in, and will legitimately remind you of the one good use for Velveeta -- making a fake cheese dip, only this time instead of the dairy-infused plastic product you are using coconut milk. This is perfect when you get that craving for food made out of petroleum products.


So enjoy bowl season y'all, and remember, Auburn sucks!

Obligatory. Also, my ringtone.

2 comments:

  1. OMG. I kind of chose to live in ignorance about velveeta. So much for THAT! Its okay, though. Id much rather have a vegan version anyway.
    Hey, how DID LSU do against 'bama this year...? (J/K my bff is a huge LSU fan, too, so I gotta give a lil shit once in a while...)
    keep bloggin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could I use almond milk instead of coconut milk?

    ReplyDelete